Friday, March 21, 2014

Quick and Easy breakfast...But watch your labels!

Good morning folks!

I am writing to you this morning with my fast breakfast ideas that is great for kids and mom's on the go...And even Dad too! But...it comes with a warning...

Let's jump in our TARDIS (#whovianascharged) and go back to Kroger a year ago. My kids LOVE waffles. It was often one of those fast and easy breakfast items that I would pick up in my freezer section. I am surprised that this was the first time I actually looked at the ingredients! What did I find!? Artificial flavors...GAH! From store brand to Eggo....All artificial flavors and other nasties. I nearly had a small panic attack in the middle of the store. WHAT THE WORLD YO!?

So I go on a mad hunt over in the freezer section of the organic/all natural foods isle. There it was. Frozen waffles...Flip the box over....NO ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS! The first ones we tried were Kashi Blueberry Waffles. They were...OK....And my kids ate them but the taste was somewhat like cardboard...Next (with coupon in hand and a great sale) we tried Van's Gluten Free Blueberry waffles. We've been hooked ever since...but the price is about $3.50 here in Arkansas for only six waffles. We use about four a meal unless the kids are really hungry. So to save a buck we switched to the Simple Truth Brand Gluten Free Blueberry Waffles ($2.49 not on sale). I love this company and the fact that they have a commitment to keeping 101 artificial ingredients and preservatives out of their food lines.

No. We do not eat gluten free on purpose. I have heard they're starting to say bad things about gluten and I've noticed more and more people in the grocery store asking me (when they see me pick up gluten free items) if I know any more cooking tips, recipes...etc. I guess I just look friendly or something? But, I'm always happy to reply that we're not gluten free or intolerant...It's just the waffles we happen to like that is a little healthier, and cheaper on my "time budget."

So you may be wondering...Ami...What's wrong with it? We've been eating it for years? I did too...but I learned that those frozen blueberry waffles from conventional companies aren't actually real blueberries! SCARY! One source I read quoted an interview that said:

     ""It has blueberry bits," Jacobson said, adding, that it's "mostly sugar and soybean oil, then little bits of real blueberry that's been artificially colored." So these lab-made berries are actually shaped into balls and dyed to look like the real deal. "It's fake.""

I don't know about you, but I wonder why companies need to mess with the awesome blueberry! I know I'm already counting the days till the farmer's market starts up so that me and the kiddos can go snag some! Blueberries are naturally sweet and extra yummy...Why? Other than the cheapest bottom line? It shouldn't be acceptable. Yes guys, I'm a business student...I know there is a lot more to this puzzle, but I'm still disappointed that people can go to bed at night knowing they're not giving consumers the best product...They're giving them the cheapest. Price shouldn't be the bottom line...Quality should. If all companies cared about what was being put into their bodies and their customer's bodies it would level out the playing field. Heavier regulations should be on manufacturers putting these chemicals in our foods, not so much the organic producers who are trying to keep these chemicals out!

So that's my little rant for today? LOL

Yes, buying organic is very expensive. But, you can find ways like these waffles to add into your repertoire so that if you have a busy life and need to reach for something quick, you can be confident it's not going to hurt your child's body...or spike their blood sugar so they're falling asleep in second hour of school.

What do I do with these waffles? I often give my kiddos a waffle and some type of fruit (Madison loves grapes and Mark loves bananas), followed by milk (almond or soy for Mark since he's lactose intolerant). My kids have a terrible habit of drinking all of their drink and not eating...so they must wait till after they eat to have a drink. And that's it! I'm sure even the busiest of moms can agree that it is quick and easy while being healthy at the same time.

Word of the day? Diligence

It's tough finding affordable ingredients or foods that are pre-made. We're starting to combat our issues with starting our own little garden so we can grown our own fresh vegetables. I'm trying to be prepared for those nights when I'm sick or tired (or both) and don't feel like cooking. I try to have good ingredients to make things from scratch. Oh how I love making things from scratch. It's tough sometimes without all the new gadgetry and small appliances...but it's a labor of love. Be diligent in your work to feed your family healthy food. Many years from now, I'm sure you'll get a thank you from those awesome kiddos of yours.

So have a great day everyone! Happy Friday! Sending y'all a whole bunch of love and peace for you and your journey!

Reference:

Jio, Sarah. (November 15, 2012). Health Controversy: Those berries in your Cereal, Frozen Waffles? Yeah They May Be Fake. Retrieved from website: http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/blogs/vitamin-g/2012/11/health-controversy-those-berri.html

No comments:

Post a Comment