Monday, March 10, 2014

Olive Pesto!

I posted this a few years ago on the previous blog address and it had the highest amount of views! So here it is again as a re-post. This is my own recipe that I came up with after tasting this amazing appetizer at a restaurant. (I will name drop because it was so awesome! Go to Angel's in Hot Springs, AR!)

After trying (and asking for extra) and trying to figure out what was in it, this is my version and to me it tastes pretty similar! We even tried some later at a different restaurant who apparently blended it and turned it into gray mush! Poor stuff...

This is great with some pita or some garlic bread. Olives have great qualities and this is an awesome way to eat them. Even my picky husband enjoyed it!

You can use cheap ingredients and it is still pretty good. Or, step up and get all organic and high quality ingredients for an amazing treats. I encourage all of you to go and Google the benefits of olives, garlic, and olive oil for yourselves. <3

So here we go:

Olive Pesto

Make sure you buy some olives that are already pitted if you can. If not carefully remove the pit. This will help with the next step if you do.

Cut all of the olives in half. I've used black olives here but I think some purple kalamatas are great as well!

Cut length wise then cross ways to chop the olives.

Then go back over them carefully to mince them into small pieces.

 Add Salt (I have sea salt here.) Fresh cracked black pepper. (A favorite of mine.) And of course, it couldn't be a recipe of mine without garlic!
 
The best way to mince your garlic is with a small hand grater. I bought this at Dollar Tree for a dollar and it has never failed me. You have to watch what you get, but there are some thrifty gems if you look.
Next, take some roasted red bell pepper. For even better flavor, do it yourself  (DIY!) and throw some peppers under the broiler till blackened. Cover with a towel for 10 minutes, then peel off the skin. Or, just grab some in a jar. (Usually much more expensive, but you pay for convenience!)
Add all of these ingredients in the bowl. Final step is adding just a smidgen (maybe 2 or 3 TBS) of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. This is the one thing you can't switch. Buy decent quality Olive Oil. I recommend Simple Truth's Organic Olive Oil that you can find at Kroger's for usually $6.99 a bottle.
 
Let this set in your fridge and even an hour later, the flavors will have homogenized and created this lovely topping. While it might be a little fattening, it'll have those good healthy fats that you need in your diet. Seriously, I'm not saying make this every day! But, a big dinner for you and the husband...go ahead and be nice and splurge!
 
I hope you enjoy this recipe. The more you let it set, the better it is. That being said, I wouldn't leave this in the fridge much more than a week.
 
Btw...Did you notice this was something we found a restaurant that we tried to make at home?
Have you tried to do that challenge yet?
Remember, sharing is caring!
 
I hope you are all having a beautiful week. We are going on vacation so I might not be around for a while. I am sure however, I will share pictures and tell you the benefits of taking it easy and going on grown-up only vacations when I get back.
 
Lots of love and peace from me to you and your journey.
 
-Ami M. Lee

 



No comments:

Post a Comment