Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Eating out...At home!

Hey guys!

Let me talk to you about one of my favorite hobbies. Cooking! A lot of us these days are forfeiting the joy of cooking for fast food. Many times people are worried more about counting calories and forget to count chemicals and additives. When you trust fast food (which you should never do) you have no clue what has been put on your food and where it came from. Many times you can recreate dishes you frequent from restaurants, including fast-food, for less money (while making more food in quantity) and much better tasting. In addition, you are more easily able to include as many organic ingredients as you can afford them.

Is it work? Of course it is! But...it is a labor of love! You are putting love into that dish and giving it to your family. Why would you not want to work for that? Are you just lazy? Can you not get organized and prepare things ahead?

See, here's the key. Organized. Ahead of time. Many times I cut onions in bulk (and refrigerate), make two batches of sauce instead of one..etc.  One of my favorites was some vegan tomato basil soup that will be pictured below. It was so easy to make some grilled cheese (with veggie cheese for my lactose intolerant kiddo, Mark) and then throw a salad on the side. A great tasting, filling meal that took minutes because I took the time (when I had it) to prepare ahead.

So here's my challenge! Yes, you reading this. I want to know what you like! What is your favorite restaurant dish? Can you make it at home? What ingredients do you think are most important to buy organic and others that you might could let slide for the budget reasons? Here's a few pictures of my favorite homemade dishes!

Homemade California Rolls, Chinese Dumplings, and Salad with Creamy Ginger Soy Sauce

The beginnings of some great red sauce!

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (Or as I call it "Epic Noodle Soup")

Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese and a Side Salad

My first Veggie Curry on Coconut Rice

Beef Fried Rice with Creamy Ginger Soy Sauce
 
 
 
These are only a few of my favorites. Chinese food is a big one because they often use MSG (Monosodium Glutamate). You can add in your favorite veggies and make your own sauces. Now, I fully admit that if you buy all of the sauces needed to make a sauce (crazy I know) it can be expensive all at once. You'll find though many last a long time and run out unevenly so that it may only be five dollars here and there per ingredient.
 
Take pride in cooking for your family. Teach your children how to cook and cook well. Allow them to feel the wonder of the generous heart involved in cooking. Let them be praised for their hard work! It will set the tone for their life. I love talking to my daughter (she's the only one really old enough so far) about cooking and different ingredients. I let her touch things, smell things, and stir things.
 
It is a great joy that I share with you and I hope that you will take some time and cook good and healthy food for your family. It's really not that hard. Just make the time and take time to care what goes in your body. This is a great way to control what is in it and add as many organic (or higher quality) products.
 
So do you accept my challenge? Are you hungry to get cooking yet? If so, leave me some comments on what you did to make a restaurant meal at home and a healthier version. Don't forget to share your recipe, because you know sharing is caring. <3
 
I hope you are all having a wonderful day, afternoon, or evening.
 
Sending you all lots of love and peace for you on your journey.
 
-Ami M. Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment