Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Transitioning to Paleo....How I feel When I Don't Eat Clean...

So we're still in that transitioning phase of the paleo lifestyle. My husband is having a difficult time giving up his chocolate milk. I am definitely having sugar withdraw. Luckily, kids are doing great!

I'm tippy typing away here while making breakfast for lunch....Sneezing my head off! WOO!

Sunday was Easter. We don't necessarily "celebrate" Easter, but we did go over to Mamaw's house (mom in-law) to eat and hide Easter eggs with our four (3 kiddos and 1 niece-ee-poo). She even warned me that all diets were supposed to be left behind. Of course, me and my big fat mouth blurted out...Well I might get sick if I over do it.

I talked at length with my husband last night. I hate being so high maintenance and I'm always worried that someone will be offended or take it personal that I don't want to eat whatever they choose to make. I LOVE eating! I love cooking and I love good food! The problem is the next day where I lose all my energy, I can't concentrate, I have awful experiences in the bathroom, and a low-grade headache/migraine making me nauseous all day long.

It hasn't helped that I've realized I'm not only allergic to paprika and shellfish, but I'm also allergic to ham. I haven't had a food allergy in my life! Paprika hasn't been a big deal and I found that out in about 8th grade. Easy to keep away from most of the time, especially if you cook your own food and don't buy it. I just recently found my shellfish allergy while on vacation, and I realized I had the same reaction (if not worse) last year when I ate ham. I confirmed with my mom in-law that it was even a different brand of ham.

I have also come to the possible conclusion that dairy doesn't so much affect me as much as gluten does! Cutting out gluten in the majority of our diet, now every time I have a gluten-ous product I get very sick. I cramp and feel like getting sick.

It's one of those things that I want to be okay with. If I get sick every time I eat something with gluten and I get sick...I'll train my mind pretty quick...If you eat THAT *insert gluten laden product* you're going to get sick. And not just sick...You'll be in pain. The pain so bad you compared it to labor pains! However, that's pretty extreme. I'm okay with it guys. But, I think it's almost helped identify why I may have kept this weight on no matter what I've done. If I have a gluten sensitivity and didn't know it, I could just keep on that weight.

Have I noticed a difference yet? Not really...to be completely honest. Then again....you know what happens to us women (sorry TMI!) and we won't be able to tell if we lost a single ounce for a while. I do feel like my collar bone is more pronounced. Me and my body, any time I have lost weight, the first place it usually "shows" is my collar bones and my face.

I have started having allergy issues. Tea and honey and LOTS of water have become my drink of choice. I find it difficult to have long conversations. My body is going through some wacko change. I'm wondering if it's the change in my eating. But, I guess I have to go through hell to get to heaven right?

It's weird to be okay with being in a lot of pain...having such strong withdraw. The panic attacks over food. It's just what I have to go through. It's what I went through with sodas! 107 days I began a very tough journey! I am so proud of that number! Over 100 days without soda or energy drinks!

I feel the same way going off of gluten. Again, dairy (very surprisingly) hasn't been an issue. Now, I am still working on getting rid of our cheese. But, I kind of mix the mostly lactose free cheese (we'll switch to fully gluten free soon, it's just $4.50 for a tiny little chunk!) with the regular cheese. Mark seems to be doing much better. He's my lactose intolerant baby. Trust me, you can tell when he's had cheese or milk. He actually got pretty sick the day after Easter, but has already rebounded.

And...I guess I'm rambling aren't I? Just a lot of things on my mind today. I never thought in my wildest dreams I could realistically have such a big dietary change and be okay with it. I don't feel deprived. I eat. I eat well. My kids eat well and I don't have to be a short order cook to feed them! I'm getting more excited to "Paleo-fy" more meals and foods we like. It doesn't always work but we're figuring it out. Chicken strips and orange fries have been a hit! Kids did great on cheeseburger night with gluten free bread and veggie cheese. Although tonight...I'm not sure what we'll do. I'm thinking baked chicken with lemon, basil potatoes, green beans, and leeks! (I LOVE LEEKS!)

So I hope y'all are having a great day. Again, sorry for the long ramble. I just felt like letting it all out! It's good for the mind and soul. <3

Lots of love and peace to you,

Ami M. Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment