Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Hold the Phone Y'all...Blackened Sweet Potatoes

Okay...So this is a secret I've been holding onto for a while y'all.

You may have seen a few of my other shared recipes, but this is truly a genuine Ami M. Lee Recipe creation of epic proportions. But, let's back up just for a minute. I promise not to ramble too long.

As a child, I HATED sweet potatoes...Mainly because the only way I was exposed was through nasty marshmallow covered crap in a baking dish. But alas, a few years ago, I tried to find a way to like sweet potatoes. They are pretty cheap and good for you. This is the recipe that I am still several years later, obsessed with! I, straight up, could eat a whole cookie sheet by myself.

Now, pay good attention to my next few words. FOLLOW THIS RECIPE TO THE EXACT LETTER! I have tried it many ways, with similar but not the same ingredients and it is not the same at all!

Blackened (Roasted) Sweet Potatoes

What You'll Need:

Sweet Potatoes (I usually do one really large or two small for my family of 5.)
Gourmet Garden Italian Herbs Organic Paste (Krogers near the fresh herbs in a tube. Yes expensive, but don't complain if you don't follow this tip and it doesn't turn out that great.)
Fresh Garlic (NO GARLIC POWDER!!!)
Olive Oil (This is the only place you can save, but it HAS to be OLIVE OIL!)


Directions:

Peel your sweet potatoes and chop them into bite size pieces.

Put it on a cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil. (Helps with clean up.)

Squeeze out some Italian Herbs Paste over the top. Four to five little blobs. Don't go over board.

Take a microplane (or handheld mini cheese grater) rub the unpeeled garlic to mince the garlic easily all over the sweet potatoes.

Drizzle olive oil well. Don't go crazy, but make sure there is enough for all pieces to be coated and to kind of coat on the aluminum foil to prevent sticking. Also prevents having to use those chemical sprays. Please don't use those things instead of olive oil!

If you don't want to use your hands to mix them up, tongs work pretty good. Just be careful and don't tear the aluminum foil up if it's metal tongs.

Here's the hard part...Waiting! LOL

Set your broiler to high. Yes, this is a little intimidating at first. I have a gas oven. I can't stress this enough. WATCH THIS DISH! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS ALL IN ONE TIME PERIOD! FOLLOW THESE NEXT STEPS EXACT!

As I mentioned, I have a gas oven so my broiler is on the bottom of the stove. If you're lucky and have an electric oven this may be a little easier, but keep in mind, times could differ. KEEP AN EYE ON IT! (I can't stress this enough guys!)

Set the cookie sheet under the broiler for five minutes. Remove and stir the potatoes around. This is really to prevent sticking and to ensure that it "blackens" on all or most sides.

Do this until they are the desired darkness you like. I did mine a little lighter tonight and I did this four times (20 minutes total). I like mine pretty dark and crispy. I guess I may just be weird like that. As I said, keep an eye on it. You may not need 20 minutes.

I call them blackened mainly because I get mine way too dark to be roasted. I am reminded of the old Nickelodeon show "Salute Your Shorts" and one of the characters would say, "Roasted...Toasted...And burnt to a crisp." That is the way I like it, but as I mention, feel free to do it how YOU like it. Your house, your kitchen, your rules.

So go rock out some awesome blackened sweet potatoes. Even my kids eat them. Enough blogging....I'm going back for seconds!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Peace, Love, and Sweet Potatoes

-Ami M. Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment