Friday, May 16, 2014

The Dreaded CRAVINGS!!!

Every lady that has ever been pregnant either loves cravings, or loves to hate cravings. Men, you guys get cravings too! I've even heard of sympathy cravings with husband's of pregnant women, but that's probably hearsay.

So what are cravings? Why do we have cravings? From my experience, and various sources it is the way our body let's us know our body needs something to function properly.

For instance, I know that I have been low iron for a very long time. Not enough to be medicated for anemia. However, my mother is anemic. I also monitor what I call, "The Doctor Oz Trick." If you gently pull your lower eyelid down to see the reddish colored part around the eye, it should be a rich pinkish red color. If the part closest to the eye is light pink to white, then it is a sign of low iron.

I have been this way for many years now, especially after I had my son. It makes sense that I have craved GREENS ever since! I couldn't live in a world without some greens. And I'm not picky about them either. LOL But, think about what greens are good for... These type of plants (leafy greens) are usually high in iron. It's often high on the list of recommendations for pregnant women including red meat, chicken, legumes...etc.

When we're dieting...people get really scared of cravings. Y'all know I have plenty of them! Every now and then I just need a brownie. Sometimes you have to stop....stay calm....and figure out what is in what you're craving.

Now...I know how hard it is to do to give in to cravings responsibly. Well, going paleo and finding out your gluten intolerant kind of helps. I know I'll get sick, have a headache, or sore throat if I have even miniscule amounts of gluten. That really deters me from straying. Sucks that it takes actual pain or illness to deter me from eating something, but that's how our bodies were originally designed.

So here's my two cents about cravings. Realize you have a craving. Identify what the benefits or basics of the craving is such as sweet, salty, or the benefits that could be in the food such as iron in leafy greens. Figure out how to responsibly satisfy what your body needs so that your body's cravings will subside.

One part of being gluten intolerant and possibly facing issues with celiac disease, the gluten breaks down the lining of the intestines making it difficult if not impossible for you to get the nutrients out of the food you're eating. Removing gluten is essential for my body so that I can actually pull out the nutrients my body is craving. Now, I know paleo and gluten free is not for everyone. I understand tough times guys...My house just was destroyed. All my healthy food in a fridge that was never found.

I have had to eat gluten because I had to, but for some reason I couldn't get back used to gluten. It's like when you go off gluten and find out your reactions and intolerance, there's no going back. It's been a few days back on the mostly paleo path (I see to be okay with dairy on occasion) and I'm feeling much better. I have more energy. I feel like getting up and actually doing things and my panic cravings when I'm extremely stressed are subsiding.

I hope this was helpful and that'll you'll do some self-reflection when you have a craving and figure out what your body is asking for. Understand that cravings are your body giving you hints to what will help you feel better. Any questions or need help? You're always welcome to leave me a comment!

Sending you all lots of love and peace to you and your journey!

-Ami M. Lee, Journey on the Final Coutndown

No comments:

Post a Comment