Monday, July 21, 2014

My Rant about Feeding My Children My Way

It has been a tough journey this last month. I mentioned that in my last post. But, there's been something on my mind that has been bothering me that I just felt like I needed to get out. I've been highly criticized since my children were born for the way I feed my children. I'm not sure what people don't understand about me wanting to feed my children as healthy as possible.

For one... Why do people care? I don't go around criticizing you for feeding your kids chemical laden crap that shouldn't be considered food. So why are you so upset that I try to feed my kids actual food?

I think this post is just a culmination of nearly five years of a struggle.

Many people are okay with themselves being overweight. They accept it and become complacent. I don't know how they do it. I've been trying for nearly four years now to lose weight. It took me four years to find the key. But, I don't like being this way. I just want to be comfortable putting on a pair of shorts or a dress that goes above my knees. I want to have so much energy that I convince people I found a way to bottle my kids extra energy.

I've never seen anyone happy when they're eating unhealthy. Not a one. They're just complacent and think that's all they can do. Well I'm here to give you a dose of reality honey. You're WRONG!

I've even experienced people who are very skinny who are just down right unhealthy, mind and body. It's the food! If you put good food in, you get great things out of your body!

So... What are my goals for my kids healthy lives?

I have always given my children fruit and vegetables. They are required to try things. Madison being four, I've seen her tastes change over the years. I always offer my kids a fruit. That's pretty easy to get them to eat. Actually, Mark could eat a bundle of bananas in a day if I would let him. But, it is important to test their boundaries with food. Give them that piece of broccoli. Don't stop just because they don't like it once.

The commercial I just saw bothers me. We shouldn't be supplementing healthy food for processed drinks like Pediasure. How is this "What kids need."!? Sugary milk like drinks?

I have always made a commitment against MSG and high fructose corn syrup. Lately, I've stepped up my game though.

Candy is a treat and NEVER every day. I often try to find treats that are very yummy and feel like candy, but aren't. For instance, Madison loves blueberries. 

I have always been anti-soda. It's just not good for their bodies. Have you read the ingredients? It's a bunch of chemical bologna.

I try to find fun ways to get my kids to drink real water. Fun cups and straws are always a hit. I never use flavored water things.

Eating is not an option. I have read many articles about picky eaters and having children eat. It's just not an option for us. I am not a short order cook. You eat what I fix. Now, that does not mean I won't consider things my family likes, or throwing in a meal that is still paleo but looks like their old favorites. One thing that really helps my kids are dips. For some reason, kids just love to be able to have ketchup, bbq sauce, ranch, etc. Of course, I'm learning how to make these paleo friendly.

I try to make sure that people understand why I do not want my children to eat certain things. I am to the point I really don't mind taking the extra steps to send my kids food (or bring my own when I'm at other people's houses). I don't mind getting up early to make my kids breakfast when they eventually go to school, plus sending healthy lunches. I am starting to lose the anxiety of telling the nice lady at the gas station or grocery store that they can't have suckers.

After finding what is write for me and my children, I have gained confidence. I can say, "No, sorry...We don't eat things like that."

In the end, I don't think this is just for me to vent. It's for all those other parents out there who are in that stage of letting everyone know that you and your kids are different. You made the family choice to take your health under control. While you may consider rare exceptions, health and good eating habits are a priority.

So be confident and good luck! And remember I'm always sending you love and peace for you and your journey. Remember, you're the momma! (Or you're the daddy!!!) Take control. You're doing what you think is best. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment